Lifeguard Certification - June
Time & Location
About the Event
Lifeguard training is open to everyone Fifteen and a half years of age and older. Minimum 4 participants are needed to have a class with a maximum of 14 participants. This blended learning course includes an online portion and an instructor-led classroom skills session.
The online portion must be completed before attending the in-class portion. Most learners complete the online portion in approximately 7 Hours. However, your experience may vary widely based on several factors including your PC, internet speed and previous training. Recommended to begin the online session as soon as possible to ensure you have completed it prior to the in-person skill session. The online portion must be taken on a PC or tablet with a high-speed Internet connection (see below for the complete set of PC/tablet requirements for this online course).
The in class portion involves a prerequisite swim test, in class lectures and final skills test. Class 1, June 2, 2020, will be a lifeguard prerequisite swim test where participants must:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
After prerequisite swim test has been completed and passed, in person lecture and skill session class schedule will be given to participants.
Upon completion of course individuals will receve a two (2) year certification from American Red Cross in:
- Life-guarding/First aid/AED/CPR for the professional rescuer
If needed, please contact the Recreation District to set up a payment plan. If you are having trouble logging into this system be resourceful, email to you’re your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org Or call 1-800-RED-CROSS. For IT assistance.
- Prerequisite test$200$2000$0